Chocolate rum swirl marshmallows
Why does time seem to pass so quickly?? It seems like yesterday was december 1st and now we are in the middle of the month. How's your holiday decorating going?
This week I realized I have to start holiday decorations,to buy Christmas tree, presents,to make and pack some foodie gifts.
Everyone loves receiving edible giftS at Christmas,not only the kinds.
Yesterday we bought our tree,we decorated the house,and at the end of the day the lights were turned on to mark the official start of the holiday season. Finally😂
When I made these chocolate swirl marshmallows I thought(and this was the intention) I'll pack them in cellophane bags and I'll store them until Christmas but I was wrong.They were so good and they disappeared until the end of the day.
The marshmallows are soft,fluffy with crunchy bits from the chocolate and they are one of my favorite things to offer during the holiday season. Not to mention are the perfect accompaniment to a mug of hot chocolate.
Stop buying marshmallows they incredibly easy to make,with a candy thermometer and a mixer you can made your own marshmallows in less than 25 minutes,playing with flavors and textures by adding chocolate,caramel,etc...
- 250 ml(1 cup),divided
- 330g(11/2cup)castor sugar
- 30g(3 tablespoons)unflavored powdered gelatin
- 100g(1/3cup) light corn syrup
- 50g dark chocolate,chopped
- 1tablespoon rum
- 2 tablespoons powdered sugar for dusting
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch for dusting
- Line a 25cm x 20cm (aprrox. 10" x 8")baking tray with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and cornstarch and sift the mixture over the bottom of the pan.
- In a large bowl place,the rum,125ml water (1/2 cup) sprinkle over the gelatin,stir to combine and set aside.
- Place the sugar,the remaining water 125ml(1/2 cup) and corn syrup in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat,stirring until sugar is dissolved.
- Bring to the boil and continue to cook without stirring for 10-12 minutes until mixtures reaches 118ºC(248F)on a candy thermometer.
- While sugar is boiling,melt the chocolate in a small bowl over a pan with simmering water.When chocolated has melted,reduce the heat to low and keep the chocolate warm over barely simmering water until is ready to use.
- When sugar mixtures reaches 118ºC(248F),slowly pour the syrup in a bowl,over the gelatin mixture and with the mixer on high speed beat for about 5 minutes until mixture is stiff(but still runny),shiny and fluffy.
- Drizzle the chocolate in a bowl,over the mixture and with a rubber espatula,gently fold the chocolate for 2,3 times to create a swirl pattern.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Let it set at room temperature,uncovered for at least 5 hours and up to overnight.
- Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and with a knife cut into squares,dust with the remaining cornstarch mixture,if necessary.Store them in an airtight container.
That's all, folks!